Saturday, May 16, 2009

Five Minutes of Uncharted 2 Footage: Ready to Poo Poo Pants?


Honestly, I feel like I had no business enjoying the first Uncharted game as much as I did. I never really cared too much for 3d platforming, tomb-raiding or half-tucks, but Naughty Dog won me over in Drakes Fortune with incredible animation, beautiful environments, a sense of real adventure, and a lead character that's so white bread, he's actually quite likable (for a cold-blooded, face-shooting, treasure-stealing murderer.)

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves seems to expand and improve on the original in every conceivable way, which is really saying something...Video after the break!

Let's take a sec here to watch this new, five minute gameplay clip.

Ok. Holy shit.


There is so much amazing jammed in those five minutes that I find it hard to believe what I am looking at quite a good chunk of the time. The first chase scene is one of the most cinematic and intense in-game sequences I have seen in quite awhile (actually reminds me quite a bit of a certain early Naughty Dog title.) Nathan Drake's animation in the fight sequences is so detailed - I don't think I have ever seen so many case-specific animations in such a short segment of gameplay. Clearly, a lot of love went into rending the environment: from the flags fluttering in the wind, to the carefully placed splashes of color, to the broken down buildings casting intricate shadows on the ground and on Drake. It's all really top-notch stuff. What really amazes me though, is how gracefully the game seems to transition between stealth, platforming, melay-action and gunfights. I can't think of any game that tackles so many different styles of gameplay so elegantly.

Rumors are floating around that Uncharted 2 will be hitting the shelves in September of this year...

Day one purchase fellers, day one.

No comments:

Post a Comment