Tuesday, June 9, 2009

E3 09: Adam's Picks


The real E3 is back, and what do you know? It's already over!

So what did I think? Well, I thought it was a deceptively good show. Many geeked profusely last week, some going as far to say it was the best in years, and maybe it was. It's really hard for me, someone who experienced E3 from a computer monitor on the other side of the country, to judge how grand the spectacle really was. I cant help but think that people got as worked up as they did this year because for the last two years, E3 was dead. This year's "return to form" show was bound to excite and exuberant amounts of praise were to be expected.

Then there are those who were disappointed by the shows overall lack of surprises. In the age of covert internet espionage it's almost impossible for companies like Sony and Microsoft to keep a secret. And it's just not the twitter-spies that spoiled the show, but the actually game companies themselves. Hideo Kojima teased his new games for over a month on his website, dropping hints and clues that made it obvious (a word I often don't associate with the notorious trickster) as to what his next projects were. The "leaked" footage of Trico surfaced just weeks before the E3 unveiling of The Last Guardian and was the most watched video on Youtube the day it surfaced. Interesting enough, Sony never asked the host to remove the video.

For whatever reason, game companies are becoming more anxious to spill the beans before the big show. Maybe it's a "beat the leak" strategy. This practice generates tons of hype, but I'd imagine it could also competitive companies the upper hand.

You know what the biggest E3 surprise was for me? Tons of great looking games are coming out in the near future, spanning all genres, styles and platforms, so many that it's daunting. It really blows my mind that the modern gaming landscape truly has something for everyone, ranging from 200 plus player first person shooter MAG, all the way to an HD remake of arcade classic Turtles in Time.

Well enough about the show. Let's get to the games of E3.

Here are some of the titles that excited me the most. NOTE: I decided to only include games that were demoed live at the show (sorry Last Guardian!).

Bit Trip Core (Wii)

Three months ago, indie developer Gaijin Games released the terrific Bit Trip Beat on the Nintendo Wii. I was shocked that it's sequel, Bit Trip Core, was announced at E3 and that it's being release this summer. This is insanity: I haven't even beaten and reviewed the first game yet and the sequel is just weeks away.

Bit Trip Core retains the vintage hard-pixel aesthetic of BEAT, but changes the rhythm-pong game play up entirely in favor of a play style that is too mathematical for me to put in words (just watch the video).

Bit Trip Beat is one of the hippest and hardest games to come out this year. It's follow-up, Bit Trip Core looks to dish out more old-school sadistic fun to brave and patient Wii owners later this summer.

TMNT: Turtles in Time Re-Shelled (XBLA, PSN)

I poked fun at this game last week and I'm starting to regret some of the things I said. Since that post high quality footage of the game from E3 was shown and am glad to report that Turtles in Time Re-Shelled is not using the dreadful character designs from the CGI movie.

I was skeptical about the games visuals and new 8-way directional game play, but as of now, I'm totally sold. I'm eating crow and it's delicious!

Did I mention this game comes out July 22?

Alan Wake (XBOX 360)

People have been talking about this game for over four years. Before E3 the only think I knew about Alan Wake was that it was the newest game from Remedy, creators of Max Payne, and that the game's protagonist is a writer (I immediately thought of that spooky movie with the guy that played Alan Grant from Jurassic Park).

I was immensely impressed with the live demo shown during Microsoft's conference and instantly fell in love with the premise and setting. I have a hunch that Alan Wake will be one of Microsoft's more classy exclusives. Looks like Twin Peaks with a dash of Resident Evil 4. Yes please!

Split Second (XBOX 360, PS3,)

I hate Michael Bay movies but would love a Michael Bay arcade-style racer. Lucky for me Black Rock Studios is making one and it's called Split Second.

The premise is similar to Excite Trucks for Wii. You race around triggering"events" that alter the course in your favor by ways of terrain deformation, route shortcuts, and explosions that bury the competition under smoldering remnants of jetliners, flight towers, you name it.

This is a Disney game, so maybe they will let you tear through Disney World. I would give anything to see the silver golf ball from Epcot blow up in my rear view window.

Joy Ride (XBLA)

Who doesn't like Kart racers? Who doesn't like FREE?

Joy Ride is a free kart racer available to Xbox LIVE Gold members which lets players race around Chuck Jones inspired courses with their LIVE Avatars.

If this game turned out to be as fun as it looks I'd totally be up for spending a few dollars on additional tracks, levels, cars...Hey wait a minute. What happened to this being free!? It's all good.


The Beatles: Rock Band (Wii, XBOX 360, PS3)

Like a lot of people, over the last 3 years I was swept up in plastic guitar game fever. Recently I've fallen off the bandwagon (haha!) because, personally, I haven't been impressed with the songs included in the recent Rock Band and Guitar Hero games. Thank god that the good people at Harmonix are bringing the music of one of the worlds most cherished popular acts of all time to their popular band-sim franchise.

"Ladies and gentleman...The Beatles!"

Ringo Starr said it best during his surprise appearance alongside Sir Paul during the MS's E3 conference. "The game is great...The graphics are really great....and...We (The Beatles) were great!"

I, personally, cant wait to dig into that bass line on Taxman.

'Splosion Man (XBLA)

While everyone was flocking to a souped-up version of a Nintendo DS game for Wii (New Super Mario Bros.) another side scrolling platformer called 'Splosion Man showed at E3 that looks better, funnier, and more fresh than Nintendo's latest Mario cash-in.

This latest game from Twisted Pixel was announced on April Fool's Day. Lucky for us, they weren't kidding when they announced that the indie company's new game was all about 'splosions.

'Splosion Man is set to kick off 360's Summer of Arcade 2009.

Project Natal (XBOX 360)

I know. Project Natal is not a game per say, but I was still impressed by it's showing. I'm glad that instead of launching a brand new console, Microsoft is rebooting their existing one through this potentially revolutionary way of experiencing games by way of Natal's fancy shmancy 3D camera.

I'm not expecting this new way of playing games to replace traditional pad-based gaming and I'm sure that Microsoft isn't either. The prospect of being able to enjoy both something old and something new, all on the same box that I already have sitting in my living room is really exciting (in my opinion).

Much like the Nintendo was before the Wii launched, Microsoft is probably being a lofty with their ambitions with Natal and their "controller free" revolution, so expectations should be tempered accordingly.

The live demonstrations of Natal were rough, but you cant deny that they looked fun. That's all that matters right?

THANKS FOR PLAYING E3 2009'! SEE YOU NEXT YEAR!

No comments:

Post a Comment