Monday, February 23, 2009

Capcom Announces Lost Planet 2: UPDATE


We are not dead, I promise.

Right now, Street Fighter IV has really got a hold on both Adam and I, making it next to impossible for us to get any work done. We do have some cool stuff on the way though, starting with this juicy little bit of news:

Capcom has officially announced Lost Planet 2, via an Xbox live video trailer. The trailer has tons of gameplay footage, all of which looks really pretty, as you would expect from a AAA Capcom title. Although I never played much of the original, the trailer's boss fight and mech footage has got me super pumped.

Check out the video! (Sorry for the link, embedded video is disabled on gamersyde.)

Is it just me of is Capcom seem to be crazy for co-op lately?

Adam here...

Just wanted to chime in on this news story.

I respect Capcom for putting together an old-fashioned Japanese hype-piece for this game, but from what has been shown in this trailer, I really don't think this looks to improve on the fundamental gameplay concepts of the lackluster prequel.

The original Lost Planet was a big letdown for me, personally, which is a shame, because it had a lot of great things going for it. The graphics, to this day, are gorgeous, and I absolutely loved the frozen wasteland setting. Fighting the giant monsters/bugs was a blast, but when you were forced to dispatch the human ice-pirates, the game came to a screeching halt. Seriously, these enemies were like mannequins with rocket launchers. I remember on numerous occasions coming across guys who were standing in the middle of a snow storm waiting on me to cross their path. I'd shoot them, they take a few steps forward, then stop, then shoot back at me, until they were dead. This sort of thing is fine in a Simple 2000 game, but this is a AAA Capcom title: I expect more.

I'm personally hoping that they beef up all the things that worked so well in original. The new jungle setting could be cool, but didn't much of the charm of the original come from the arctic environments? One of the coolest concepts in the original was keeping yourself from freezing to death. New "cover-style" gameplay has been promised for the sequel, but keep in mind that Capcom's definition of "cover" mechanics is much different than Cliffy B's. Resident Evil 5's "cover" consists of Chris Redfield yelling "cover me!" at Sheva Olimar (at least in the demo). In the Lost Planet 2 trailer it shows the character planting a mechanical sheild ala Gears 2, right in front of a spot that, as is, would serve perfect for cover. Marcus Fenix is shaking his head in dissapointment.

The boss battles were (imo) the best thing going for the first Lost Planet, and judging from the small ammount shown of it's sequel, it looks like Capcom realized this and went all out. The part were you shoot your hook-shot into the beast's leg and climb up on it's back looks epic. It's strange that they are just now taking cues from Shadow of the Colossus: Lost Planet was released 2 years after that game.

Hope I'm not coming across as being too tough on Lost Planet. I'm really hoping that Capcom irons out all the wrinkles of the first title to deliver a dynamite action game that can possibly give Gears of War a run for it's money.

Chris made a comment about Capcom's co-op policy that deserves it's own post. Stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment