Friday, February 6, 2009

Show Us Your Demo: Killzone 2


Getting a copy of the Euro demo of Killzone 2 was easy. Trying not to let the massive hype jade us was a bit more difficult. So, wanna know what we think???


Adam's two cents:

Graphics. This is the first thing that anyone mentions about this game. It's a good looking game, but to be fair, there are A LOT of good looking FPS games this generation. What makes K2 stand out from the rest? It's a sci-fi FPS that doesn't make your eyes roll into the back of your head. The game looks serious. Clearly someone in the art department went to art school.

Okay, so the graphics are great. How does it play? Like you're underwater. Perhaps I've been spoiled by intuitive pick-up-and-instantly-have-fun control schemes in games like Call of Duty 4 and to some extent Gears of War. Maybe it's just me, but I found the Killzone's controls to be sluggish and overtly tedious. Hopefully, after time, I'll get the hang the controls and learn to appreciate the various system quirks, but as of now, I'm a bit disappointed that I couldnt just dive into this world and instantly "get" it.

The demo is pretty short, but appears to be a good representation of the final product. Although I didn't enjoy my first experience with Killzone 2 as much as I'd have liked to, I really REALLY want to like this game. Here's hoping I can put my druthers to rest before the game launches at the end of the month.

Chris's two cents:

With gigantic games like Killzone 2 it's hard to not have an opinion before you play them. By this point, we have seen so many trailers, screen shots and game play videos, that I basically felt like I knew just about everything the demo was going to offer. In a lot of ways, I sort of did. Killzone's demo brings the same dark, violent world that you have seen in the trailers and there are no surprises in the cover system, weapons or design.

However, when expectations are set so high and the hype is so huge, not being surprised isn't an entirely bad thing. Visually, Killzone 2 brings the heat; the lighting, explosions and particle effects are among the best I have ever seen, if not the best. As dark as the game is there is actually quite of bit of color in the palette, which is nice to see. Also, the sound design is top notch; everything sounds the way it should even if the music is a bit dull.

The one thing any amount of video or hype can't tell you is how the game actually feels when you have the controller in your hands. I can't lie, when the first scene opens up and the visuals wash over you, I got some chills. Again, the game looks incredible and the production value is unreal. Once I had the chance to jump into the action however, the initial shock started to wear. The game play is really heavy; your character moves a little slower than in most current shooters and the controls seem just a little too loose. At first I felt like I just didn't know what I was doing, but it soon became apparent, this is just a slower paced, more methodical shooter. Not really a bad thing, I just don't know if it is going to be as enjoyable for me personally as I might have hoped.

Right now, as Adam, I expect an FPS to be instantly fun and the controls to come to me right away. I don't know yet if that is just expecting too much or if that's the way it should be. Either way Killzone 2 left an impression of being a incredbley beautiful demo of what the PS3 can do visually, but left me wanting more from the gameplay.

Hope the boss fights and game pacing can keep things interesting all the way through the full title.

No comments:

Post a Comment