Wednesday, April 8, 2009

The Calm Before the Storm: id Software in 1993

This is a gem: video from id software in 1993, right before the OG DOOM dropped. It's really exciting for me to have this type of insight into the company responsible for a game that literally changed my life. I can still remember vividly the first day I played DOOM and the countless hours spent Deathmatching via dial-up modem.

There is some great stuff in this video: the incredible talent of id's sound designer, Bobby Prince (listen to that interweaving character theme melody) John Romero talking about his masterwork as he is playing it (you can hear the child-like excitement and passion he has for he does.) With a team like that, it's no wonder that DOOM turned out to be the incredible success that it was. Watching this makes me wish id would have produced a full-blown "making of" documentary as they where creating DOOM. I want to see them sculpting the models they photographed for the monsters and I still don't quite understand how the Kevin Cloud created those amazing wall textures...



No comments:

Post a Comment